Covington & Newport Bike Plan
About the Bicycle Transportation Plan
In January 2023, the City Commissions in both Covington and Newport approved a Memorandum of Understanding to partner with Tri-State Trails in the development of a joint Bicycle Transportation Plan for both cities. Tri-State Trails scope of work includes the following tasks:
- Inventory existing conditions;
- Review previously adopted community plans;
- Identify key gaps in the bicycle transportation network, with a focus on creating a protected bikeway network within Covington and Newport that can extend into neighboring cities;
- Host community engagement for the plan; and
- Create a short and long term prioritized project list that aligns with potential funding sources.
On January 31, Tri-State Trails organized a project kickoff meeting with representatives from the City of Covington, City of Newport, Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, and the Devou Good Foundation. The first Steering Committee was held on March 15, to develop the vision and outline project timeline for the Bicycle Transportation Plan. Initial conceptual recommendations were presented to Covington, Newport, and KYTC during the month of April.
On May 31 and June 6, Tri-State Trails is hosting public open houses to review existing conditions and present initial recommendations for the plan. This website will be updated with maps and a public input survey on May 31.
The Covington + Newport Bicycle Transportation Plan is made possible thanks to the generous support of the Devou Good Foundation.